Tuesday 17 December 2013

Gifts from Hell

With Christmas coming up, gifts are never far from my mind.  I was telling my husband this story recently, and thought I'd share it with you.

When I was 13-14 years old, I was at a sleepover at my best friend's house.  As girls of that age do, I was rolling around on her bedroom floor, laughing my head off at something, when I spotted an album hidden behind her dresser.  When I made a grab for it, she was very embarrassed.  I, however, thought it was even more hysterically funny.

The album was a Leo Sayer one.  Not cool, not even in the mid-80's (the New Romantics era - if this doesn't make any sense to you, Google it.  If nothing else, it'll give you a laugh).  She refused to say where the album had come from but I can guess why it was hidden.  She was the epitome of cool (at least, to me), so I'm not surprised she had a burning desire to hide it from the world.


As it happens, our birthdays were nine days apart.  Mine came first.  When it came around, six months later, I had forgotten all about the Leo Sayer album.  Imagine my surprise when I unwrapped the album as my birthday gift!

After laughing hysterically (yet again), I carefully put it away.  When her birthday came around nine days later, I re-wrapped it and gave it back to her.

So began a gift-swap that lasted a few years.  I don't know who ended up with it it in the end - pretty sure it wasn't me. 

I wonder if she still has it?

Do you have any gifts-from-hell stories you care to share?  I'd love to hear them!

~ Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment